Office of International Education

FAQ and Helpful Information

Frequently Asked Questions About Studying Abroad

Below is a list of common questions concerning studying abroad.

  1. Where can I find information about studying abroad? Information regarding study abroad programs can be found on a number of websites. If you are interested in a summer, semester, or academic year program, visit the Office of International Education in Walb Student union 145. If you are interested in faculty led programs, visit the Division of Continuing Studies in Kettler 139. If you would like to participate in one of the National Student Exchange international programs, visit the Mastodon Advising Center in Kettler 109.
  2. Where can I study abroad? IPFW students have the opportunity to study overseas in over 500 programs. Please visit the IPFW International Programs website, the IU Bloomington Office of Overseas Study website, or the Purdue University Study Abroad Program website for more information.
  3. Is it required that I speak a foreign language to study abroad? No. There are a number of programs in non-English speaking countries that offer courses in English. However, the Office of International Education strongly recommends that you enroll in a language class of the host country as it will enhance your pleasure of the program. Additionally, many programs provide language instruction in the host language from beginner to advanced.
  4. Will my courses abroad fit into my degree program? You should discuss this with your academic and study abroad advisors. Each student must complete a course approval form prior to going overseas.
  5. Can I use my financial aid for study abroad? Yes, under normal circumstances.  For more information regarding your financial aid package, contact the Office of Financial Aid in Kettler 103 or at (260) 981-6243. If you are studying abroad through another university, you should talk with the Office of Financial Aid about financial aid that may be available through consortium agreements.
  6. Are there scholarships available to study overseas? Yes, there are a number of scholarships available. Likewise, the Institute of International Education has created a search engine for study abroad funding.
  7. Can I participate in a study abroad program offered by another university or program provider? Yes. To do this, you must transfer credit back to IPFW. Please consult with the Office of International Education as well as with your academic advisor to determine how this credit will transfer.
  8. Where should I have my study abroad transcript sent? If you study overseas in a non-Indiana University or IPFW study abroad program, you should have your final transcript sent to the Study Abroad Advisor, Office of International Education, Walb Union 145, 2101 E. Coliseum Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46805-1499
  9. How long are study abroad programs? Program lengths can range from one week, one summer session, one semester or even an academic year.
  10. I’m scared! I do not have any friends participating in the program. What to do? Some students are apprehensive about applying to a study abroad program because they do not know anyone else going. Generally, students meet for a short time at the pre-departure orientation. However, the real connections will develop onsite through similar classes, group excursions, and the common experience of being immersed in a foreign culture. Many students returning from study abroad indicate that they have made numerous friendships through their program and have kept these friends throughout their college careers.
  11. What is the minimum GPA requirement to study overseas? IPFW requires a minimum 2.50 Cum GPA and not on academic probation.  Some programs require a higher GPA such as 2.75 or even 3.0.  Check the eligibility section to see. Living overseas is a fun but sometimes stressful experience. The Office of International Education wants to ensure that you are strong enough academically to handle these demands and succeed.
  12. When should I start planning my overseas trip? NOW!!! Students often reach their senior year and realize that they ran out of time to study overseas. Study abroad is an integral part of the education you will receive at IPFW. Start planning now and find the right time to fit this experience into your studies.  Typically you should explore two semesters before you hope to go and apply at the begining of the semester before you go. 
  13. How do I apply to study abroad? Download the IPFW study abroad application , fill it out, and turn it into the Office of International Education in Walb 145. If it is a non-IPFW program, visit the program provider's website to apply. Either way, YOU MUST SUBMIT an Office of International Education study abroad application by the stated deadline based on semester of participation.
  14. If I still have questions, where can I get more information? If you still have questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to visit the Office of International Education, Walb 145 to discuss program options. In addition, the office can be reached via email at or (260)481-6494