Office of International Education


Tax workshop dates will be released in February of every year by the Office of International Education. Please contact the Office of International Education and inform us of which tax workshop you are interested in attending when those dates have been released.  We ask that you reserve your slot ahead of time.  You may e-mail us at or call us at 260 481 6034.  

*For links to forms listed on this page. Visit the "Tax Resources and Forms" Tab and scroll to the bottom.

Please bring the following documents with you to the tax workshop:

  1. Passport, visa, I -94
  2. I -2013. W-2 (you will only have this if you worked)
  3. 1099 -INT (you will only have this if you earned interest in 2009 on savings. Your bank would have already send this to you.)
  4. Bank information (account number and routing number), as well as dates of entry and exit of the U.S.
  5. Any additional tax information you may have received. 

Important things to know:

  • Taxes DUE: ALL STUDENTS must file taxes if they were in the U.S. in the year prior to the current year when tax filing is due, whether or not they worked
  • Taxes must be postmarked by April 15th EVERY YEAR. If you bring your completed tax forms to WU 145 by April 14th, we will mail them for you.
  • If you have not completed your Federal taxes yet, go to myIPFW to the Student Life Tax, and Glacier Tax Prep will be on the right side. Click on the title to complete the forms. If you have been in the U.S. over 5 years, you are not eligible to use this software. If you have W-2s, attach these to forms.
  • If you have worked in the previous year and your income was greater than $1000, you need to file the Indiana State Tax Return, as well.
  • Example: If you were in the United States in 2013, you must file a federal tax return for the year 2013 by April 15th, 2014. If you worked and received more than $1000 income, you must also file an Indiana State tax return. 
  • International students are required by law to file taxes. Non-resident students who are temporarily present in the US under an F-1 or J-1 visa, must file a return if they have income that is subject to withholding, even if no tax is withheld.  However, a form 8843 must be filed regardless if income was earned or not.
  • In some cases an individual will receive a refund and in some cases an individual will have to pay more taxes to the U.S. government.
  • Be sure to review the Frequently Asked Questions page before filing your tax forms.
  • GLACIER is a tax software program that is free for IPFW international students.It will help you to determine if you are a resident or non-resident.Based on your answers to questions in GLACIER, the program will fill out the federal tax forms for you.
  • You can then print them out, sign and follow the instructions given. Unfortunately, GLACIER cannot assist in your state tax forms.
  • For Indiana state tax, Nonresident students and dependents present in the United States on an F, J, Q, or M visa must file Form IT-40 PNR if they had any type of Indiana source income in 2014. 
  • You need to finish your Federal Tax Returns before starting to file State Tax Returns.
  • If you have no Indiana source income over the past year or you only had interest from a US bank account, a US savings and loan account or a US credit union account in the past year, you will not need to file any Indiana state tax forms.
  • To file a paper form, go to
  • Instructions and required forms can be found in the second table.

Please check your MyIPFW email account for a message with more information.