Celebrate 50 Years
Diversity Council

International Students

As an international IPFW student, you may be eligible for student employment. There may be restrictions on your ability to work in the United States. It is important to work closely with International Student Services to verify your employment eligibility and to follow all appropriate university procedures to expedite the employment process. You must be working toward an IU/PU degree, meet visa requirements to work in the United States, and meet all other university requirements for employment before you can be referred to a campus employer.

Applying for On-Campus Student Employment:

  1. Visit International Student Services , Kettler Hall Room 104, and obtain an On-Campus Employment Authorization form.
  2. Click on the JobZone link to search for on-campus jobs. You can also go to www.ipfw.jobsand click on Staff Positions for jobs on campus.

    Students: Use your myIPFW Login.
    Alumni: Call Career Services at 260-481-0689 for login information.
    Employers: Use your JobZone login information

    Complete your profile and search for jobs on campus. If you have any trouble logging into JobZone, please call 260-481-0689 or come to Career Services in Kettler 109. If you need help writing a resume, go to our Career Guide for assistance. You can also schedule an appointment with a career counselor by calling 260-481-0689 or visiting our office..

  3. If you are offered the position, the on-campus employer must complete the F-1 Student Social Security Number Request form and return it to International Student Services, Kettler Hall, Room 104.
  4. Once the request is approved, you will receive a confirmation letter and you will need to take the following items to the Social Security Administration Building to apply for a Social Security number:
    1. Valid Passport
    2. Form I-94 (white card in passport)
    3. Current Form I-20
    4. F-1 Student Social Security Number Request Form

You will not be able to get a Social Security number if one of the above items is missing.

Please note that you will only be able to apply for a social security number between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. After you have received your social security number, you will need to notify your employer.

The Social Security Office is located at:
2122 Lincolnway Court
Fort Wayne, IN 46819
(260) 747-6072

Once hired, you must meet with Kirk Tolliver in the Human Resources Office, Kettler G56, to complete the appropriate tax forms.

Please note:

  • You can only work up to 20 hours a week while classes are in session. When classes are not in session, you can work over 20 hours a week. You can work multiple jobs as long as you don't exceed your hours.
  • After completing one full academic year in an non-immigrant status, you may be eligible to work off-campus. You will need to contact International Student Services for more information.

IPFW Departments That Hire International Students

  • Admissions
  • Archaeological Survey
  • Center for Academic Support and Advancement (CASA)
  • Civil & Architectural Engineering
  • Communicator (Student Newspaper)
  • Computer Science
  • Dental Education
  • Gates Sports Center
  • Helmke Library
  • Housing
  • Human Services
  • Information Technology Services
  • Interior Design
  • Nursing
  • Physical Plant
  • Physics
  • Psychology
  • TLC Childcare (only as internship for CPT)
  • Walb Student Union

Companies on campus That Hire International Students

  • Follett's Bookstore
  • Pizza Hut
  • Taco Bell
  • Subway