Paying for College

Pell Grant Policy

IPFW Pell Grant Policy

Established as of April 15, 2010
Updated July 1, 2011

 Receiving the Pell Grant

This is the amount initially provided by the FAFSA. During the 2011-12 Academic Year, the maximum amount initially provided is $5,550 for a student with a zero EFC and who is enrolled full time (minimum 12 credit hours). You do not have to be enrolled full time to receive the Pell grant; you can be enrolled in any number of credit hours to be eligible for funding from the first scheduled Pell Grant award.  However, the amount is prorated based on the number of credit hours taken.

Lifetime Pell Limit

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited by a new federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%.  Since this is a lifetime limit, there are no grandfather clauses; it includes every semester you have ever received a Pell Grant award.

 Below is a sample letter sent out by the Department of Education to students who had used 600% or more lifetime eligibility. Notice they provide a link that shows how to determine how much of a lifetime percentage you have used.


We want to alert you to a recent change in the law that affects your Federal Pell Grant award for the 2012-2013 school year and beyond. This change limits the total number of years a student may receive a Pell Grant to the equivalent of six years. Based on our records, you have already received at least six years of Pell Grant funding. This means that you are no longer eligible to receive Pell Grant funding, starting with the 2012-2013 school year. Note that you still may be eligible for other federal, state, and school financial aid.For information on how we calculate the "equivalent of six years" click on the following link: If you have questions about the information in this e-mail, please contact your school's financial aid office.

Federal Student Aid

U.S. Department of Education

Transfer Students

If you transfer to IPFW from another college or university, we will use the assumption method for determining hours completed. We will take into consideration your Pell award at your college and assume that’s how many credits you completed for the purpose of counting credits in an Academic Year.

Facebook   Twitter   YouTube 

Financial Aid 

Office Hours:

Mon-Thurs 8 A.M.-6 P.M.

Fri- 9 A.M.-5 P.M.

Contact Us:


2101 E. Coliseum Blvd.

Fort Wayne, IN, 46805


Changes to Child of a Disabled Veteran (CVO) Program

Students who will receive CVO next year must be aware of recent changes made by the state of Indiana.  Visit the state of Indiana's website to read more!

© 2014 Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW). All rights reserved. IPFW is an equal access/equal opportunity university.
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please email the Office of Institutional Equity at