College of Education and Public Policy

Criminal History Background Report

Every school or agency that the Department of Educational Studies interacts with requires our students (you) to have a current background report on file at the university. A current background report is defined as "within one year from the requested date on the report", after which time you will need to obtain a new one.  There is a fee each time a background report is requested. 

If the issue date will become more than 1 year old before the end of your field experience, you must obtain a new background report prior to the beginning of your field experience.  If an infraction appears on the report, a faculty committee will review the report to determine if you are eligible to enter into field experiences or student teaching.  IPFW and each school or agency reserve the right to deny placements based on the report.  In addition, should an infraction occur during the timeframe of the field experience or student teaching, it is the student's responsibility to report this to their supervising instructor(s) and the EPIC Office (Neff Hall #243). 

Criminal History requests must be obtained from Safe Hiring Solutions unless you are an Early Childhood Education (ECE) major (see information for ECE Majors & Dual Majors below).  Reports will be sent directly the EPIC office (not the student) approximately 1 to 2 weeks after the request and payment are completed.  The EPIC office will maintain all current reports.  If you need a copy of your report, contact the EPIC office to obtain a copy.

Step-by-step instructions on how to apply for your Safe Hiring Solutions Criminal History Report:  Criminal History Report instructions 

ECE MAJORS AND DUAL MAJORS:  You must follow two different procedures because of having placements in both early education settings and public/private P-12 school districts.  Please see these instructions on how to obtain the National Criminal History Check through FSSA. For a field experience or student teaching experience in a public/private P-12 school district, follow the appropriate directions below.

STUDENT TEACHING students:  Select EXPANDED  ($31.50).  This now includes a Federal District Courts search.

FIELD EXPERIENCE students:  Select LEVEL 1  ($18) only if you have ever lived in one county. If you have lived in more than one county, get the expanded report.

NOTE:  If you plan to student teach within 1 year of obtaining a criminal history report, get the expanded report.

Don’t forget to print, fill out, and sign a Criminal History Release Form too. Return the release form to the EPIC office in NF #243.  If you have previously completed a release form, you don’t need to do another one.  If you are not sure, contact the EPIC office and ask if they have one on file.  Everyone will need to have a release form on file. This form gives the IPFW College of Education and Public Policy department permission to use, copy, and send your Criminal History Background report to the schools or agencies where you are being placed for a field experience, practicum, or student teaching.


A photo of an IPFW elementary student working with a  young student during her field placement.An IPFW elementary student working with a young student during her field placement.