Smoke-Free IPFW: With Every Minute, Everything Gets Better!
The IPFW Smoking Policy:
Smoking is prohibited in any university facility and on any university grounds.
Smoking is only permitted in parking lots and in designated, on-campus smoking huts.
Thinking About Quitting?
The IPFW/Parkview Health and Wellness Clinic provides one-to-one counseling to assist with smoking cessation.
Contact: Heather Krull, MSN, FNP-BC at 481-5748
- Online Quit Resources:
- This "Step By Step" booklet [PDF] gives you a practical, self-directed guide that can help you quit--right now.
- The American Cancer Society has an excellent guide to quitting smoking, available in a printer-friendly form.
- Quitting starts with one step:
Did You Know?
- Nicotine from a cigarette reaches the brain in 8 seconds, which is faster than the time it takes for injected heroin or cocaine which take about 12 seconds. (Smoking-facts.net)
- The effects of smoking lead to nearly one-fifth of deaths in the United States every year. (Centers for Disease and Control)
- 3,000 non-smoking adults die of diseases caused by exposure to second-hand smoke every year. (Smoking-facts.net)
- Women who smoke more than half a pack a day may cause their own infertility or irregular menstrual cycles. (Smoking-facts.net)
- After only 20 minutes of not smoking, your blood pressure drops back to normal. (Smoking-facts.net)
- After 48 hours of not smoking, nerve endings start to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are enhanced. (Smoking-facts.net)
- Among male health care professionals in the US, smoking 25 or more cigarettes a day appears to double the risk of non-insulin dependent diabetes. (World Health Organization)
- Tobacco raises blood sugar making it harder to regulate diabetes. (American Diabetes Association)
The Cost of Smoking in Dollars and Sense:
- $5.00 a pack/a day: 1 gallon of gasoline or a special coffee drink
- 7 packs per week = $35.00: A small vehicle tank of gas; dinner for two; a new article of clothing; an oil change for your car
- 28 packs per month = $140.00: New pair of workout shoes; concert tickets; a book for your class
- 365 packs per year = $1,825.00: Spring Break vacation; trip abroad; two undergraduate classes
- 365 packs per year for 10 years = $18,250.00: A new car; five semesters of IPFW tuition
Is smoking really worth it?