IPFW Tobacco Policy:
Smoking is prohibited in any university facility and on any university grounds. Smoking is only allowed in university parking lots and designated smoking huts.
Tobacco-user additional premium:
If you complete an approved tobacco cessation program by one of the dates below, your additional premium will be waived on all pay you receive in 2012 on or after the lister waiver date.
- Complete approved cessation program by May 30 and qualify for waiver of the additional premium on July 1.
- Complete approved cessation program by August 31 and qualify for waiver of the additional premium beginning October 1.
To avoid the surcharge in 2013, To avoid the additional premium in 2013, you must certify during benefits open enrollment that you have been a non-tobacco user for the 12 months immediately prior to completing your enrollment or that you are a tobacco user who has completed an approved tobacco cessation program between Sept. 1 and the end of 2013 open enrollment.
Tobacco-user additional premium frequently asked questions
Purdue University Tobacco Surcharge:
- 2012 Purdue Tobacco-User Surcharge
- Tobacco Cessation Resource Sheet: Benefits information (link)
- Tobacco Cessation Resource Sheet: Ready to Quit? (link)
- Smoke Free Purdue (link)
- Tobacco users who do not complete an approved cessation program between September 1 and November 23 will have opportunities to complete an approved program during 2012 to qualify for a partial waiver of the surcharge. Email Judy Tillapaugh upon a cessation completion.
- Complete by February 28 to qualify for waiver beginning on April 1.
- Complete by May 30 to qualify for waiver beginning on July 1.
- Complete by August 31 to qualify for waiver beginning on October 1.
- Contact Judy Tillapaugh for Freedom From Smoking class dates: (260) 481-6647.
- Tobacco Cessation Programs
Purdue Tobacco-User Additional Premium
- The Purdue tobacco-user additional premium goes into effect on January 1, 2012.
- All employees and spouses/same-sex domestic partners covered by a Purdue medical plan who are tobacco users and have not completed an approved tobacco cessation program between September 1 and November 24, 2011.
- The additional premium is $250 per person in 2012 and will be $500 per person in 2013.
- Visit Purdue's webpage for more information: http://www.purdue.edu/hr/Benefits/tobaccoSurcharge.html
To waive the tobacco surcharge there are three tobacco cessation programs: campus (American Lung Association) 6-week series, or a community program.
- On-Campus: The American Lung Association offers a six-week free program on campus for employees and spouses. Session last approximately 1 hour.
Community programs: If you find a community-based program, please call the Jen Roherty (481-6746) or Judy Tillapaugh (481-6647) before enrolling to ensure that it qualifies. You will need to submit information regarding the program content and its duration. You will need proof of completion returned to firstname.lastname@example.org after you finish the program.
- Email email@example.com for more information and upcoming dates.
- Next class begins April 4, 2012. Click link for full information [Freedom From Smoking]