In general, a bonfire is an outdoor fire utilized for ceremonial or recreational purposes. The following guidelines shall be followed when a group or organization plans to have a bonfire on the IPFW Campus.
- All bonfires require a permit from the city. The Grounds division of Physical Plant will obtain the permit. The Grounds department requires a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice to obtain the permit.
- The IPFW Physical Plant Grounds Department representative needs to be on site during the burn time plus 1 hour before and 1 hour after the burn time (for prep and to watch for smoldering embers). Suitable provisions need to be made that will prevent a fire from spreading to within 50 feet of any structure.
- Bonfires may not be utilized to dispose of waste material.
- Overtime for the Grounds Department representative may be incurred depending on the date/times of your bonfire and will be charged to your area.
- The Grounds Department representative on site is solely responsible for the maintenance of the bonfire. The Grounds Department representative will build, stoke and extinguish the bonfire. The Grounds Department representative has the authority to douse the bonfire if, at his/her discretion, the situation appears unsafe or activities around the fire have gotten out of hand.
- In the event of rain, the area around the bonfire will get soggy and muddy. This can directly hamper IPFW’s ability to build and/or maintain the bonfire.
- A bonfire shall not be more than 5 feet by 5 feet in dimension and shall not burn longer than three hours.
- Fuel for the bonfire shall consist only of dry firewood. The fire shall not be ignited with flammable liquids.
- McKay Farms is the only on-campus approved site for bonfires and can be reserved by using the online event scheduling form.
- All bonfires are to be coordinated through the IPFW Special Events Department who will work in conjunction with the Grounds Department.
- Bonfires are for display only.
- Cooking with the bonfire is not allowed.
- Jumping over the bonfire or general horseplay near the fire will not be allowed.
- There is no electricity at the bonfire site.
- There are no restroom facilities at the bonfire site.
- Alcohol is NOT permitted at the bonfire site.
Any questions about these bonfire guidelines may be directed to the Special Events Department at 260-481-6612