Financial Matters

How and when do I pay for my courses?

Direct all questions about fees and payment to the Bursar's office.

Payment deadlines and schedules are available. First e-mail billing notifications will be sent at least four weeks prior to the first payment deadline for each term. Email billing notices will be sent at least weekly after the initial billing. During the last two weeks prior to a payment deadline, notices will be sent daily. You will not receive a bill in the mail unless you specifically make that request to the Bursar's office.

There are several methods you can use to pay your fees. You may pay online through myIPFW, pay by mail, or pay in person at the Bursar's office. Payment plans are available online through myIPFW. Find more information about payment options.

The Bursar's office says I owe money but I disagree. What should I do?

Disputes about tuition and fee charges need to be resolved with the Bursar's office. If you believe your circumstances warrant an exception to the refund policy, you must request a refund through the Appeal of Fees Process. An Appeals Committee meets on a monthly basis to review student requests for exceptions to the university refund policy. Full details on the Appeal of Fees Process are available here.

How much will my classes cost me this semester?

Tuition and fee charges are adjusted annually in the fall. Fees are set based on student level (Graduate/Undergraduate) and residency status. More information is available here:

Can my parents receive my tuition and fees bill?

In myIPFW, you can give others (parents, employers, etc.) the ability to access your account information. In myIPFW, click on the Billing icon in the upper navigation bar. Then click on the Authorized Users link. In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), your student financial records may not be shared with a third party without your written consent. Adding an authorized user is your written consent that an individual may view your account information and make payments on your behalf. Please note that authorized users DO NOT have access to your stored payment methods, academic records, or other personal information. Direct all questions about this process to the Bursar's office.

How do I get financial aid?

Direct all questions about financial aid to the Financial Aid office.

Descriptions of available federal, state, institutional, and outside sources of assistance, eligibility criteria, methods of disbursement, terms of loans, and employment opportunities are available on the Financial Aid Process page and in various university publications. See the Financial Aid office website for more information.

How will I get my refund check?

Visit the Bursar's office for more information about refunds.

What do I do if I am getting notices to pay back my student loans and I am still enrolled?

You must formally request a deferment through the procedures your loan holder has established. Typically, a school official must certify your form. The Registrar's office is the only university office authorized to officially certify your enrollment status. Your enrollment status for a specific semester can be certified only after classes for that semester have begun, and sometimes must be delayed several weeks due to Purdue University's enrollment reporting process to the National Student Clearinghouse. Your enrollment status will be reported only as of the date requested.

You should continue to make payments on the loan until you’ve been notified the deferment has been approved. Sometimes borrowers apply for deferment and don’t hear anything back and assume things are fine. Or, as soon as they send a deferment form and their paperwork, they think they can immediately stop payment. Even if the paperwork is received without any problem, it takes a while to process. So, don’t skip the next payment when it’s due. First, check with the loan holder. If your deferment has not been processed, make your payment! You might go into default otherwise. You can’t get a deferment on a defaulted loan. The length of time to complete this process varies.