Mastodon Advising Center

Late Partial Withdrawal

Dropping classes is prohibited after the ninth week of a regular semester or a comparable time period for summer sessions. Specific deadlines are published in each Schedule of Classes so that students may make informed decisions within the appropriate time frame.

Requests for exception to this policy will be considered only for exceptional, non-academic reasons which are clearly beyond a student's control. These could consist of critical or persistent health problems, unforeseen changes in employment conditions (e.g., transfers, shift changes, or increased work hours), or similar circumstances.

Please be advised that students have the ability to drop before the deadline by a variety of means. Students may drop in person at the Registrars Office, or by contacting your Academic Advising office. Any holds on a student record may be temporarily lifted in order for a student to drop. Failure to take these measures when able will result in the petition being denied.

Your request for withdrawal will be treated with the greatest degree of confidentiality possible.

Petitions for late partial withdrawals will not be considered unless you provide documentation of the reason(s) leading to your request. You must submit this documentation along with the late partial withdrawal form.

Late Partial Withdrawal Procedure:

  1. Complete the Late Partial Withdrawal Form
  2. Present the form to the instructor(s) of the class(es) from which you wish to withdraw. An instructor's signature is required for each course listed on this petition to verify course information and the grade(s) you have earned to date. Your petition will not be considered without these signatures.
  3. Fill out a Drop/Add card with all required personal and class information and attach it to the form. Drop/Add cards are available at the Registrar's office, and at the MAC front desk.
  4. Submit the Drop/Add card, this petition and all required documentation to your advisor.
  5. If all parties approve your petition, you will be assigned a grade of W in the class(es) which you have requested. If your petition is not approved, you may choose to continue attending the class(es) and receive the grade earned, or you may choose to discontinue attending without a formal withdrawal and receive a grade of F.
Approved Late Partial Withdrawal will only be reviewed if received prior to the end of the semester requested. Any student requesting a partial withdrawal after the end of the semester in which a grade has been assigned will be referred to the Grade Appeal Policy through the Dean of Students Office.

Submission of a petition is a request for exception and approval is not guaranteed.

To download a PDF of the Late Partial Withdrawal form, click here. You may alternatively pick up a form from the MAC office in Kettler Hall room 109.