Mastodon Advising Center


Are you having some difficulty in choosing a major? You’re not alone—many people aren’t sure of what they want to do for a major or career. Here are a few resources that can put you on the right path to finding a major:

  • Visit the Career Services web site and check out their list of majors and major-related information.
  • Visit Career Services in Kettler Hall 109. Make an appointment with a career counselor, take a career assessment, check out a book from their career library... This is THE place to go for career information!
  • Take a class to help you make a career decision. There are several options to choose from. Talk to your advisor and they can help you register!
  • Talk to an academic advisor in a major you're considering. They can give you lots of information, like what classes will transfer for degree requirements and what kinds of jobs are related to that major.
  • Try an internship, externship, or job shadow in the field you're considering. It's the best way to get hand-on experience and see if this is the career for you.

Also, the IPFW Undergraduate Bulletin provides information about the undergraduate programs, rules, courses, and faculty. You can find course descriptions, major and minor requirements, and university rules and regulations in the Bulletin--it's full of valuable information for student use, and serves as a guide for your university experience. View an online version here.