It is the academic advisor’s responsibility to:
- Be knowledgeable about university, school/division, and department academic regulations.
- Establish, maintain, and clearly post adequate and suitable office hours for advising (including information on summer availability).
- Assist the student with understanding degree requirements and the proper sequencing and selection of courses. This includes being knowledgeable about developmental course placement and any published changes in requirements.
- Assist the student with determining practical and manageable academic loads.
- Assist the student with monitoring academic progress.
- Document approved exceptions to the student’s academic program.
- Explain the relationships among degree requirements, departmental philosophy, and, as necessary, certification criteria.
- Assist the student with considering areas of enrichment appropriate to abilities and goals.
- Assist the student with linking programs of study to relevant career opportunities.
- Act, when appropriate, as a referral agent to other university personnel and services.
© 2014 Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW). All rights reserved. IPFW is an equal access/equal opportunity university.
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please email the Office of Institutional Equity at email@example.com.