The "O" drive is a network storage area for more than two people to share files. Each O drive is limited in size and the size will vary. Every department has a departmental O drive by default; however, additional O drives can be created for specific purposes by filling out an online request form.
- On a campus Windows PC, the O drive automatically appears in My Computer as the drive letter "O". Files can be opened and saved just like any other drive.
- On a campus Mac, the O drive can be mounted as a volume which you can use like any other drive.
- Off campus, access departmental space through My Files in myIPFW as "DriveO".
- At any point after the creation of an O drive, access can be granted or removed for individuals.
- If a file has been deleted, you can usually restore it yourself.
- O drives are backed up by IT Services and files can be restored from backup.
- Sharing files with all members of a department.
- Sharing sensitive files with a smaller subset of people within a department.
- A special group or committee may need storage space shared by people in many different departments.