To maintain status, the student must comply with the following:
- Pursue a “full course of study” at the school listed on the currently valid SEVIS Form I-20 during every fall and spring semester. Students are not expected to attend classes during summer and winter break. At IPFW, to be “full time,” you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- Make normal progress towards a degree, by completing studies before the program completion date on the Form SEVIS I-20. This means you should maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Keep Form I-20 valid by following proper procedures (in a timely manner) for:
- Extension of stay
- Change in educational levels or programs of study
- Transfer of schools
- Do not remain in the U.S. for longer than 60 days after completing the full course of study (graduation) unless you have applied for practical training, changed educational levels or immigration status, or transferred to another school.
- Keep passport valid at all times [8 C.F.R. 214.1(a)(3)] (contact your home country’s embassy/consulate in the U.S to renew your passport).
- Report a change of address to USCIS on form AR-11 within 10 days of the change. You can download form AR-11 or pick up a copy at OIE.
- Abide by rules requiring disclosure of information and prohibition on criminal activity.
You cannot continue your education in the U.S. without valid F-1 status. Consult an International Student Advisor if you have any questions. Please also visit the Dept. of Homeland Security Website dedicated to maintaining your F-1 Status.