Check the Office of International Education out on. . .
“EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department‘s network of hundreds of advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate college or university in the United States. Click on the link below to find your center!”
Effective for the fall 2011 semester, there will be only three categories under which a student may be considered for a waiver of the insurance coverage.
IPFW requires that all international students purchase the University-sponsored health insurance plan unless they fall into one of the following three categories which qualifies them for a waiver.
Who qualifies for a waiver?
Note: Individual and private insurance companies will no longer qualify for a waiver.
Please Note: international graduate students with benefit-eligible graduate staff appointments (benefit-eligible TA or RA positions) will have the option to purchase a IPFW University Graduate Staff Health Insurance Plan.
If you are in one of the three categories eligible for a waiver, please note the minimum criteria for granting a waiver are as follows:
1. Coverage must be in effect from the 1st day of classes through the last day of final exams.
2. Medical benefits per accident or illness of at least $200,000. *
3. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.*
4. Medical evacuation coverage in the amount of $50,000.*
5. An annual deductible per year not to exceed $500* per illness (per person).
6. To qualify, an insurance policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the participant's policy may be backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.
*Amounts must be in US dollars($) and are the minimal amounts required at the time a waiver request is reviewed at the University.
There is no monetary profit for the University if a student purchases the University plan. The benefit is ensuring that all international students have an adequate health insurance plan and are protected from huge financial burdens.
You should download, print, and complete the forms listed below in order to apply for a health insurance waiver.