Office of International Education

If you are maintaining your full-time student status, you may take a part-time job on campus for 20 hours or less per week while school is in session (fall and spring semesters) as long as it does not interfere with maintaining full-time enrollment. International students may work full-time on campus while school is not in session (summer vacation).


Part-time: No more than 20 hours per week. If you are working more than one job, the total may not equal more than 20 hours per week.

Full-time: More than 20 hours per week, no total hour restriction. In the summer, you can work as many hours as you want on campus. Most employers consider 40 hours to be full-time, but you can work more than 40 hours during the summer.

Semester: Fall and spring semesters. For exact dates, please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Graduate Teaching Assistant/Graduate Research Assistant: These are major-related positions for graduate students taking place within the assigned department. If you are a graduate student who has been approved for GTA or GRA, you can apply for a reduced course load (5-6 credit hours depending on major), but you must contact the OIE office to ensure all proper steps have been taken. 

Graduate Administrative Assistant: These are also major-related positions that may not take place within the assigned department for a graduate students' major. This must be approved by the program director and OIE and be directly related to a student's field of study. You can also apply for a reduced course load, but you must contact the OIE office to ensure all proper steps have been taken. 


To work on campus, you need to follow the following steps:

  1. Find a job on campus. You can start by going to Career Services in Kettler Hall and checking their most current job listings.
  2. You may also go office to office and ask if there are any job opportunities available. If something is open, go ahead and apply.
  3. Once you get offered a position, you will need to fill out the top portion of the On-Campus Authorization Form. Your employer should fill out the middle portion. 
  4. Bring back the form to the Office of International Education for a signature on the bottom.
  5. If you do not have a social security number, you will need to apply for one as soon as possible. Refer to our Social Security page for more information. Please note that you can start working on campus without a social security number, but you cannot be paid without one.