Tiered lab benefits save you money on all three Purdue medical plans.
The next time you need a lab test, talk with your doctor about choosing a Tier 1 lab to help save money. Most doctors are willing to use the lab that best meets your needs.
Generally, the cost for a lab test at a Tier 1 lab will be less than if you had the test done at a hospital or the doctor's office, even if the hospital or doctor participates in-network. You can compare costs for specific lab tests through Castlight, the health care shopping tool.
To use a Tier 1 lab, ask your doctor to fax a lab order to your preferred Tier 1 facility or take a written and signed order with you when you go to the lab. The order will have the information the Tier 1 lab needs for processing your lab work and sending the results to your health care provider. Results are available only from your health care provider; please don't call the lab for results.
Tier 1 labs
- The Purdue Health Plan will pay 100 percent for all lab services at a Tier 1 lab
- The Purdue Health Plan Plus HSA 1 and the Purdue Health Plan Plus HSA 2 will pay 100 percent for all preventive lab services at a Tier 1 lab. Non-preventive lab work at a Tier 1 lab will be subject to the medical plan's in-network deductible, coinsurance and out-of-pocket maximum. Your expenses will always be less at a Tier 1 lab
Tier 1 lab locations:
- IPFW Center for Healthy Living and Wellness Programs, (260) 481-5748
IFPW Walb Union, Room 234
2101 E. Coliseum Blvd, Fort Wayne
Phone – (260) 481-5748 Fax – (260) 481-5752
Hours – M-F, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (not closed at lunch); closed University holidays
- LabCorp, (888) 522-2677
- Quest, (800) 377-7220
Tier 2 labs
- Tier 2 labs include all in-network labs that are not in Tier 1, including IU Health Arnett.
- Preventive lab work at a Tier 2 lab will be paid at 100 percent by all three medical plans.
- Non-preventive lab work at a Tier 2 lab will be subject to the in-network deductible, coinsurance and out-of-pocket maximum on all three medical plans.
Tier 3 labs
- Tier 3 labs include all out-of-network labs
- Preventive and non-preventive lab work at a Tier 3 lab will be subject to the out-of-network deductible, coinsurance and out-of-pocket maximum on all three medical plans.
If you have questions, call the number on your medical plan ID card.