Athletics Center Policies
- IPFW faculty, staff, student, spouse, IPFW alumni memberships can be purchased at the Athletics Center Customer Service Desk at 260-481-6655.
- Community passes can also be purchased at the Athletics Center Customer Service Desk. Guests must be accompanied by an Athletics Center member.
- All individuals (under 13) must be supervised by an adult while they are in the building.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed in the strength and cardio-conditioning rooms or use any exercise equipment.
- No product solicitation or unauthorized personal training is allowed.
Membership ID Cards
- You must have a valid IPFW Mastodon card every time you use the Athletics Center.
- Check your card at the Customer Service Desk or Weight Room Check-In Desk while you use the facility and remember to pick it up when you leave.
- ID cards can be printed at the Walb Union Information Desk.
- A Sports Center patron may buy a pass for, or sponsor, a guest at the cost of $5 per individual per day.
- The sponsor must accompany the guest(s) and is responsible for the guest abiding by the rules of the facility.
Entrance and Exit
- Entering and exiting through the east and west entrances or from the south corridor from the Walb Student Union.
- Violation of this policy may result in loss of building privileges.
- Check in at the Customer Service Desk located at the east corridor.
- The cardio/fitness room, weight room, racquetball courts, intramural courts (fieldhouse), and 1/8 mile Mondo track (fieldhouse) are located on the first floor.
- The indoor (1/9 mile) track is located on the second floor.
- Locker rooms and showers are located on the lower level.
- All areas are accessible by elevator.
Locker Rooms and Locks
- There are general locker rooms for men and women; and locker rooms for faculty and staff locate on the lower level.
- Small hallway lockers can be rented for $30 for the academic year or $10 for fall, spring and summer session each.
- Locks are available to rent for $1 per day with a Mastodon ID. You are welcome to bring your own lock and keep it on your locker for the duration of your workout.
- All locks left on unrented lockers will be cut off and the contents will be kept at the Customer Service Desk. Unclaimed items will be discarded after 30 days.
- Blue jeans in any form are not permitted while working out.
- Footwear must be athletic in nature, soft-soled and non-marking. Work boots and sandals are not permitted.
- The Athletics Center staff will make the determination if there is a question regarding footwear or workout apparel.
- All bags and purses must be kept in a locker downstairs. No bags will be allowed in the workout areas or fieldhouse.
- Patrons must always wear a t-shirt, tank top or sports bra while working out.
- During winter months and wet weather, clean shoes must be brought to wear while using the fitness center.
Safety and Conduct
- When working out in the weight room,collars are required on the barbells during any lifting exercise.
- Patrons should pick up weight plates, dumbbells, and pads and return them to racks or proper storage area after use.
- Gates Center employees can assist you if you cannot find a capable spotter.
- Athletics Center staff have the authority to deem an activity unsafe and unacceptable.
- Be cooperative and considerate with other patrons when it comes to using the workout areas.
- For emergencies and injuries contact a Athletics Center customer service desk employee or dial 260-481-6827 for Police and Safety.
- Athletics Center personnel reserve the right to revoke user privileges if individuals exhibit inappropriate behaviors.
- Patrons are required to disinfect equipment after using it using the provided cleaning materials.
- Television stations are operated by the Athletics Center staff and may be changed upon request.
Special Events and Closings
- The Athletics Center is a multi-purpose facility. Throughout the year there will be special events and functions that may require some or all of the Gates Sports Center to close.
- Check for postings at the Customer Service Desk for updates.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Use
- Campus policy prohibits indoor smoking and the use of chewing tobacco in all buildings.
- IPFW regulations also prohibit the possession, consumption, distribution, or sale of alcohol and other drugs on campus.
- Refunds for Athletics Center fitness membership purchases will be prorated and decided on a case-by-case basis.
Racquetball Court Reservations
- Courts can be reserved 48 hours in advance by calling 260-481-6655.
© 2014 Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW). All rights reserved. IPFW is an equal access/equal opportunity university.
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please email the Office of Institutional Equity at firstname.lastname@example.org.