September 09, 2013
Suicide Prevention Week Events
- Media invited to cover Suicide Prevention events on campus this week
- Tuesday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Walb Ballroom, Info Fair, Panel Discussion, Monologues/Readings addressing suicide and loss
- Wednesday, Sept. 11, 11 a.m. -1 p.m. Alumni Plaza, “Rising Above” healing service and balloon launch
FORT WAYNE, Ind.—Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) will hold several events for Suicide Prevention Week on campus Sept. 9–13, 2013. Activities include:
Tuesday, September 10: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Walb Ballroom
- Information Fair: Various campus and community groups will be represented. Students who visit vendors and activities will receive an event t-shirt or canvas book bag.
- IPFW Theatre Arts students and campus faculty and staff will be performing monologues and readings addressing suicide, loss, adversity, bullying, and harassment.
- Panel Discussion on “I know it when I see it” addressing homophobia, sexism, racism, and more. Facilitated by the Office of Institutional Equity.
Wednesday, September 11: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Alumni Plaza
- “Rising Above” healing service and balloon launch. Attendees will be given the opportunity to write on the balloons the name(s) of persons they have lost, or persons who have been touched by suicide or other tragedy, persons who have overcome adversity, persons who have helped them through a difficult time, etc. Healing service to be conducted by a local clergy.
This is a program of the IPFW Project COMPASS: Community Partners Against Student Suicide, in partnership with the Office of Student Affairs, IPFW Center for Healthy Living Campus Clinic and Wellness Programs, IPFW/Parkview Student Assistance Program, Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, Center for Women and Returning Adults, IPFW Peer Educators, the Military Student Services Office, and The Resource Center for LGBTQ Students.
For more information contact Nicole Wilkins at 260-481-4174 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The media is invited to attend and cover these events.