For Immediate Release
February 03, 2014
IPFW Celebrates African American Heritage Month
- February is African-American Heritage Month
- All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted
- Sponsored by IPFW Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, International Language and Culture Studies (ILCS), and Student Housing
FORT WAYNE, Ind.—Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) is celebrating African-American Heritage Month with a series of events taking place the entire month of February. All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
Monday, February 3
- Kickoff Celebration takes place in the Walb Union Ballroom from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Enjoy a special spoken word performance by Artist Too Black, Music by DJ Rello, a performance by IPFW's show choir D-Sharp, and a resource fair featuring local non-profit agencies. Soul-food picnic provided.
February 5, 12, 19, 26
- Wednesday Night Film Series featuring Hidden Colors in the IPFW Housing Clubhouse from 7 to 9 p.m.
Tuesday, February 11
- Fathers: The First Class Seat. A community conversation regarding the significance of fatherhood and African-Americans in Walb Union Ballroom from 6 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday, February 18
- Sister: An African-American Life in Search of Justice. Presentation given by Jody LePage, author and historian from Madison, Wis. Walb Union Ballroom, 6 to 8 p.m.
Friday, February 21
- Trip to Cincinnati, Ohio. Open to IPFW students only. Must be currently registered (spring 2014). Participants will visit the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. Bus will depart at 7 a.m. and will return at approximately 8 p.m. To register contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, February 23
- 10th Annual Gospel Fest. Walb Union Ballroom, 6 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday, February 25
- African-Americans in Higher Education. Panel discussion in Walb Union, Room 114, from noon to 1:15 p.m.
All events are sponsored by IPFW Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs (ODMA), International Language and Culture Studies (ILCS), and Student Housing. For more information visit the ODMA website.