Walter E. Helmke was born on December 17, 1901. He died February 4, 1976. He was a senior member of the law firm of Helmke, Beams, Boyer and Wagner. He was a member of the IPFW campus advisory board from 1972 until his death in 1976. He was a member of the IU Board of Trustees from 1954-1956 and served on the Indiana-Purdue Foundation from 1958-1976. He wrote the articles of incorporation for the present IPFW campus and was instrumental in the purchase of the land on which the campus is now located. He was awarded the first honorary doctorate to be conferred by IPFW in 1973, and the first Ralph E. Broyles Medal in 1975. The library and learning resources center at IPFW as named for him in 1977.