The wooded corner of the campus near the intersection of Coliseum Blvd. And Crescent Ave. was named Katter Park in 1999 to honor Donald R. Katter, IPFW's director of physical plant from 1982 to 1999. Originally, this location was the site of a large residence facility built around 1900 to house the more able residents of the Indiana School for Feeble-Minded Youth, the forerunner of the Fort Wayne State Developmental Center. Residents operated the farm that supported the related school and hospital on East State Blvd. The farm was first known as Colony Farm and later as Oak Park Farm.
Source: Stepping-Stones to the Future: a Self-Guided Walking Tour.