Alfred William Kettler, Sr., was born in 1892 and died in February 1985. He was a 1915 graduate of Purdue and was known as "Mr. Purdue" throughout the Fort Wayne area. His interest in starting a Purdue campus in Fort Wayne began in the mid 1940's. In 1947 He headed the drive to purchase the building which then stood at the corner of Jefferson and Barr to be used for classrooms, labs and offices. When it became obvious that Purdue would soon outgrow these facilities, it was Kettler who led the founding of the Indiana-Purdue Foundation at Fort Wayne which arranged to purchase the original tract of land on Coliseum Blvd. and worked with representatives of IU to develop the present campus. He was a trustee of Purdue University from 1949-1967. He received the Distinguished Alumni Award in 1967. He was a director of Purdue's Ross Ade Foundation. He was president of the Indiana-Purdue Foundation for a number of years. In 1971 he received the first honorary doctorate (LL.D)to be conferred by the Purdue University Fort Wayne campus. He was in the general construction business and was president of the Indiana Engineering and Construction Co, until his retirement in 1966. He was an elder in the First Presbyterian Church, former president of the local council of Boy Scouts of America, active in the YMCA, Chamber of Commerce Community Chest (known as the United Way today), and Associated Churches. He was commissioner of the Fort Wayne Park Board for 14 years druing which time he and Mrs. Kettler made a gift of Kettler Park to the community. He was a member of the Scottish Rite, Purdue Alumni Association, Fort Wayne Engineering Society, Sigma Xi Fraternity, Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club and Quest Club. Edgar F. Kettler is one of his sons.