A reorganization effective on July 1, 1981 eliminated this division, transferring various courses into the two plus two degree programs of the academic units of the two universities. For example the department of business and economics assumed responsibility for the two-year technology programs in accounting and office technology. The purpose was to better serve students who might eventually want to pursue a bachelor's degree. The unit was known as "DGTS" (pronounced "digits"). The unit was formed in 1966 and was housed in the former Indiana University Extension Center building at 1120 South Barr Street. At one time the unit enrolled more than 1,200 students in a variety of associate degree technical programs. For further information see The Communicator, September 17, 1981, p. 1.