The Energy Systems Lab (ET 341) is equipped to support research and projects dealing with energy transfer devices ranging from simple fins and heat sinks to mini-channel cold plates to more complex devices such as heat pumps, air conditioners, and solar collectors. Of particular interest are devices that involve alternative or renewable energy sources, i.e. solar collector and wind turbines, or devices that involve multiple modes of heat transfer, i.e. cold plates and radiating-convecting fins.
- Wind Tunnel
- Solar Collector
- Photo-voltaic Panel
- Heat Pump
- DAQ and LabView
Interactive Cooling System
The Parker Hannifin Precision Cooling Department requests that an educational, Interactive Cooling System (ICS) be designed and developed to demonstrate the versatility and capabilities of Parker’s Precision Cooling Two-Phase technology. The cooling technology is used to cool heat-generating electronic and mechanical devices when conventional means - like using heat sinks or chilled water - are not sufficient or are undesirable. The cooling technology keeps the working fluid () primarily within the saturated region throughout the thermodynamic cycle. The refrigerant circulates from a pump to cold plate to air-cooled condenser to reservoir and back to pump. For the ICS, electric resistance heaters replicate the heat generated by electric or mechanical devices. The rate of heat generation changes with respect to the device being cooled in the range of 100W to 1000W. The maximum sustained temperature of the replicated device is maintained to ±1°C. Sensors measure temperature and pressure at the inlet and outlet of each component. This information is displayed to the customer on an interactive screen along with a thermodynamic cycle diagram. The sensors provide feedback to control the fan speed and pump speed to maintain the maximum sustained temperature at the heat source.
- J. Njock Libii and D.M. Drahozal, "Influence of the magnitude of the angle of attack on the voltage produced by a miniature wind turbine," World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, Vol.9, No.3, 155 - 160 (2011).
- J. Njock Libii, "Using miniature wind turbines in the design of experiments on wind energy." World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, Vol. 9, No. 2, 74-79 (2011).
- H. I. Abu-Mulaweh, D. W. Mueller, B. Wegmann, K. Speith, and B. Boehne, "Design of a Bubble Pump Cooling System Demonstration Unit," Proceedings of the International Conference on Energy, Water & Environment, Amman, Jordan, December 12 -15, 2010.
- A. T. Al-Halhouli, M. Hammad, H. I. Abu-Mulaweh, M. Alhusein, and B. Al-Shannak, "Two-Phase Slug Flow Pressure Drop in a Tee-Junction," (2010). International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research. 37, 2: 178-189.
- J. Njock Libii, "Laboratory exercises to study viscous boundary layers in the test section of an open-circuit wind tunnel," (2010). World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education. 8, 1: 91-96.
- J. Njock Libii, "Using wind tunnel tests to study pressure distributions around a bluff body: the case of a circular cylinder," (2010). World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education. 8, 3: 361-366.
- H. I. Abu-Mulaweh, "Investigation of the Effect of Backward/Forward-Facing Step on Turbulent Mixed Convection Flow over a Flat Plate," Experimental Heat Transfer, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 117-127, 2009.
- H. I. Abu-Mulaweh, "Development of a Bench-Top Air-to-Water Heat Pump Experimental Apparatus," International Journal of Engineering, Vol. 3, Issue 3, pp. 350-369, 2009.
- H.I. Abu-Mulaweh, "Development and Performance Validation of a Heat Pump Water Heater," Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 135-148, 2008.
- J. Njock Libii, "Dimples and Drag: Experimental demonstration of the aerodynamics of golf balls," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 75, Issue 8, 764-767 (2007).
- D.W. Mueller, Jr. and H.I. Abu-Mulaweh, "Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient for a Fin Cooled by Convection and Radiation," Proceedings of the 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2007.
- B. Wilcox, D.W. Mueller, Jr., and H.I. Abu-Mulaweh, "Modeling and Testing a Cold Plate," ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference, Proceedings of IMECE2006, 2006.
- D.W. Mueller, Jr. and H.I. Abu-Mulaweh, "Heat Transfer Coefficient for a Long Fin Cooled by Convection and Radiation," AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol. 19 (4), 583-586, 2005.