College of Visual and Performing Arts

Some music students are required to complete an internship as part of their degree program. To find out how to apply for an internship or post an opening for an intern, contact the Department of Music at 260-481-6714.

Music Therapy

Upon completion of all coursework, music therapy majors are required to complete a six-month internship under the supervision of a professional and credentialed music therapist at an American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) approved clinical site. Under special circumstances, some internships may be university-based, performed at a local site and jointly supervised by a professional music therapist and the IPFW Director of Music Therapy.

Music and an Outside Field

Some students majoring in Music and an Outside Field have the opportunity to do an internship in their outside field. Those students whose outside field is business, audio recording technology, arts management and similar fields are placed with a business or organization appropriate to their field of study. There, they work for 90-120 hours under the supervision of the cooperating agency. Students majoring in Music and an Outside Field of Theatre do a senior project, jointly supervised by the Department of Music and the Department of Theatre.


What is an externship? What are some externship activities? 
An externship gives you the opportunity to explore a specific career path, gain marketable job experience, and make professional connections by working with hosts—IPFW employees or employers who are currently working in your field of interest. The primary purpose of the externship program is career exploration. You will most likely participate in the following activities:
• Shadowing one or more professionals
• Attending meetings and presentations
• Touring the department
• Conducting informational interviews
• Participating in daily operations that will provide hands-on exposure to the career field or industry
• Completing a relevant project, if the externship is long enough