Associate Professor of Sociology
Race and Ethnic Relations, Sociology of Education, Japan and East Asian Studies, Comparative/International Education, Multiculturalism, Applied Sociology, Evaluation Research, Cultural Sociology, Popular Culture
- Evaluation Research
- Applied Research Methods
- Sociology of Education
- Principles of Sociology
- Education and Society
- Race and Ethnic Relations
- Social Stratification and Inequality
- Modern Japanese Society
- Yamada, Mieko. (forthcoming, 2015) The Role of English Teaching in Modern Japan: Diversity and Multiculturalism through English Language Education in a Globalized Era. Routledge, UK.
- Yamada, Mieko and Gutierrez, Daniel. (2014) "An Evaluation of the Impact of a Faith-Based Volunteer Program" Journal of Applied Social Science, 8(2): 134-148.
- Yamada, Mieko. (2013) "Diversity Matters: Japan's Domestic Diversity and the Role of English Language Teaching" Critical Inquiry in Language Studies: an International Journal, 10 (3): 215-241.
- Yamada, Mieko, and Shupe, Anson. (2013). "Internet Accessibility of the Mizuko Kuyo (Water-child) Ritual in Modern Japan: A Case Study in Progressive Weberian Rationality" Sociological Focus, 46(3): 229-240.
- Yamada, Mieko. (2011). "Awareness of Race and Ethnic Diversity in Japan's Junior High Schools' English Language Textbooks" Critical Inquiry in Language Studies: an International Journal, 8(3): 289-312.
- Yamada, Mieko. (2010). "English as a Multicultural Language: Implications from a Study of Japan's Junior High Schools' English Language Textbooks" Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 31(5): 491-506.
- Yamada, Mieko. (2009). "Westernization and Cultural Resistance of Tattooing Practices in Contemporary Japan," International Journal of Cultural Studies, 12 (4): 310-338.