Why Native American Studies?
The Native American Studies Certificate is available to all IPFW students. It is intended for students who are interested in exploring the Native American background and current issues facing Native Americans. Students will be able to use the certificate toward a degree in social work.
Possible areas of interest include:
- Native American students who want an opportunity to explore their background more completely from an academic perspective.
- Any student with a specialized interest in Native American culture and history.
- Students concerned with the issues that face Native Americans today on reservations (unemployment, alcoholism, acculturation, economic development).
- Students looking forward to careers in social work with Native Americans on reservations or in urban settings.
- Students who are not necessarily possessing a bachelors degree, but desire a recognized education on Native Americans.