The following is a brief description of what students can expect while enrolled in the IPFW Department of Communication graduate program. You can download this timeline as well as the latest course rotation as a 2-page .pdf document.
- Complete conditions (if applicable)
- Submit choice of pursuing comprehensive examination, professional project, or thesis option with signed approval of advisory committee chair (students matriculating 2015-16 and later)
Completion of 15-18 Credits
Two Semesters Before Graduation
One Semester Before Graduation
- Synthesis Proposal due 30 Sep for spring graduation or 15 Feb for fall graduation (students matriculating before 2015-16 only)
Graduating Semester (students matriculating before 2015-16 only)
- Second week: First deposit of synthesis paper
- October 15 (for fall session) or March 15 (for spring): Approved draft of synthesis paper due
- November 1-15 (for fall) or April 1-15 (for spring): Comprehensive examinations
The IPFW Department of Communication does not process synthesis papers, comprehensive exams, or graduation during the summer sessions. Also, students should keep in mind:
- The three (3) semester rule: If you are inactive for 3 semesters (including summer), you have to apply for readmission to the program.
- The five (5) year rule: If you are inactive for 5 years or more, your courses will no longer count and your plan of study is no longer valid.