College of Education and Public Policy

Special Education Concentration (4 courses)

We have a variety of options to help you gain the required knowledge and skills to apply for an Indiana License in Mild Intervention and/or Intense Intervention. You can choose special education as either your concentration area or as a dual-license program.

Once you are admitted to Block 1 for the teacher education program in the Department of Educational Studies, you may begin taking classes for the certification in special education. EDUC K305 or K306 is the first required course for Special Education.

Concentration Courses: (K305/K306 must be taken first)
  • EDUC K305 Teaching the Exceptional Learner in the Elementary School
>  Or
  • EDUC K306 Teaching the Exceptional Learner in the Secondary School
  • EDUC K370 Introduction to Learning Disabilities 
  • EDUC K465 Service Delivery Systems and Consultation Strategies (Offered Spring & Summer only)

To see courses and requirements for undergraduate education majors see the Mild Intervention Check Sheet for Elementary Education Majors.

Anticipated Course Rotation

Special Education Program Undergraduate Student Guide

Please contact one of the special education faculty members to set up an appointment to add the Special Education certification at the undergraduate level.