College of Education and Public Policy

If your education program leads to an Indiana teacher license, part of the requirement is that you will Student Teach your last semester. 

One year before you plan to student teach, you will need to make an appointment with Jim Beard to submit your application.  Call the EPIC office secretary at 260-481-6449 to make your appointment.  Appointments take about 1 hour.  At the time of your appointment you will review your completed student teaching application with Jim Beard.

For students who plan to student teach during a Fall Semester, appointments are available September through November.
For students who plan to student teach during a Spring Semester, appointments are available February through April.

read me sign         Please read the instructions below before clicking on the            Important sign

                                                             Student Teaching Application link:


You MUST have Adobe Acrobat Pro XI (not Acrobat Reader)  on the computer you are using in order to fill out this application.  If you do not use Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, the application will not fill out correctly, you may not be able to save it, and/or you could lose some or all of what you type on the application (Note:  page 6 is all narrative.  You don't want to lose that and have to re-type it).  We have had emailed applications come through to us blank because the student did not use Adobe Acrobat Pro XI to fill out their application.

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Pro XI on your personal computer (most people don't), go to one of the IPFW computer labs in Neff Hall.  I.T. Services has loaded Adobe Acrobat Pro XI on the windows (not mac) computers in those computer labs in Neff Hall.  You can also go to any other computer lab on campus and use a windows (not mac) campus computer to complete your application; however, you may have to download the Adobe Acrobat Pro XI program on that computer before you use it.  The program is located in a desktop icon entitled "IPFW Software Center".  Just click on that icon and find Adobe Acrobat Pro XI and download it.  Then you will be able to successfully complete and email your Student Teaching application.  

Click on the following link to see the student access lab hours and locations:       

Please feel free to contact IT Help Desk if you have further questions about student's access labs.

IPFW ITS Help Desk is located in Kettler Hall, Room 206.       Phone #: 260-481-6030

Email your completed application to BEFORE the day of your appointment - preferably after you complete the application.  Also save the completed application to your email or to a flash drive and bring it with you to your appointment in case the email didn't go through to the epic email.

REMEMBER:  If you are using a public access computer, make sure your information is not saved on the computer after you save it to a flash drive or email it to yourself.  Otherwise the next person using the computer will be able to see everything you did.      

Student Teaching Application             NOTICE:  Before you begin please read the instructions listed above. 


Items to help you complete the Student Teaching Application Process

            a. School corporations

Instructions:  Click on the School corporations link above and open it.  Look through the list and select 4 different school corporations you are interested in for your student teaching or practicum placement.  You will enter your 4 choices on the Student Teaching Application.  NOTE:  If you choose Northwest Allen County Schools (NACS) or Southwest Allen County Schools (SACS) you must have an overall GPA of 3.0.  If you select DeKalb County Central (for a H.S. placement), East Noble, MSD Bluffton-Harrison, NACS, or SACS you will need to obtain an unofficial transcript (NOT OASIS) from the Registrar's Office in KT #107.  Bring the transcript(s) with you to your student teaching appointment.  

            b. Safe Hiring Solutions criminal background report

Instructions:  Open the Safe Hiring Solutions link above and fill out your information to apply for a criminal background report.  You will need to have a current report in order to apply for a student teaching placement.  You must also have a current report before you begin your student teaching placement.

If you are an ECE major or dual major, you must follow two different procedures if you will be placed in both a Head Start placement and a public/private P-12 school districts placement.

                        (1)    For an early childhood setting experience, follow the National Criminal History Check instructions through MorphoTrust.

                        (2)   For a student teaching experience in a public/private P-12 school district, follow these instructions to obtain an expanded criminal history report through Safe Hiring Solutions.

You must have a current expanded criminal background report prior to the start of your student teaching or practicum experience; therefore, even if you already have an expanded criminal history report on file with us, you will have to obtain a new criminal history report if the current one becomes more than 1 year old prior to the start of your student teaching or practicum experience.  Some school districts may require a more recent report. 

NOTE: Many of you have contacts with several districts and often field placement teachers will express a desire to have you as their student teacher. The current application procedure requires that the request for a student teaching or practicum placement starts with Jim Beard. Please refrain from creating any arrangements with a school district or teacher for a student teaching or practicum placement.