The purpose of the Business Enterprise Systems and Technology (BEST) institute is to inform, educate and help existing companies, and to attract new businesses and industries, by creating a center for knowledge management and networking for all the companies in Northeast Indiana. The goals of the BEST institute are as follows:
- Disseminate the latest of technology or “Best of Breed” solutions by offering seminars: Advanced Manufacturing Technology - Lean Manufacturing - EAI Enterprise Application Integration Streamline the Business Process - The latest in Logistics Development - ERP Enterprise Recourse Planning - CRM and Customer Relation Management - Sales Management - B2B Software in Enhance Connectivity - Future Visions - The Supply Chain, WiFi - RFID technology and more – Sensor based RFID and Vision systems
- Assist companies with evaluating their needs for modernizing, retention, marketability and profitability.
- Networking companies and people in order to profit from knowing each other’s skills.
- Help students find better jobs and become more marketable
We received 2 million dollars of SAP software to weave through our course curriculum to benefit students.
- We have a manufacturing simulation package called Extend for Students. In a class case study, we saved Ottenweller Corporation 15% of cost of manufacturing by creating a more efficient shop floor layout.
- We are working with Tower Bank on routing analysis
- We are actually writing the syllabus to train students in this technology so Kimberly Clark can hire them for interns and full time employees.
The BEST institute is creating an RFID lab at IPFW that will consist of cutting edge technology on the RFID and wireless technologies. It will be the only lab like this in the state with a conveyor system donated by Shuttleworth and RFID readers and printers to perform research and publications on the environmental challenges and ROI of RFID. We also want to help other companies in their quest for this or other technologies, and will eventually use and teach Six Sigma in our lab.