Center of Excellence in Systems Engineering
- Center of Excellence in Systems Engineering
"What is a system? A system is a network of interdependent components that work together to try to accomplish the aim of the system. A system must have an aim. Without an aim, there is no system. The aim of the system must be clear to everyone in the system. The aim must include plans for the future."
- W. Edwards Deming, The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education (1993)
The IPFW Center of Excellence in Systems Engineering (CESE) is an academic program for systems education and research. It is our goal to promote systems thinking in not just engineering and education, but in all enterprise.
- Dr. David S. Cochran and Jason Barnes presented a paper entitled "Sustainable Enterprise and Manufacturing System Design" at the 2015 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Illinois-Indiana Section Conference. The event was held on the IPFW campus on March 27 and 28, 2015, and featured many papers and presentations from IPFW faculty.
- Dr. Cochran presented an overview of systems engineering and how it can be applied to community health at a March 19, 2015, meeting for the Allen County Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) for Children. The Center of Excellence in Systems Engineering looks to be heavily involved in improving the quality of life for children in Allen County.
- The 9th Annual INCOSE Great Lakes Regional Conference is being held in Cleveland, OH, on October 23-25, 2015. The theme this year is "Making Critical Systems Resilient and Sustainable." IPFW has been tabbed to host the event in 2016.
- Dr. Cochran participated in the 2014 Institute of Industrial Engineering (IIE) Lean and Six Sigma Conference (ELSS), which was held in conjunction with the Lean Educator Conference on September 29 through October 1, 2014. His participation included presentation and entering the conference paper competition with a paper co-authored by Rick Sereno, President, and Wendell Aldrich, General Manager, of Oji Intertech. The paper entitled "Enterprise Engineering of Lean Accounting and Value Stream Structure through Collective System Design" was awarded Conference Best Paper.
- CESE is presented a workshop entitled Lean Accounting and Value Stream Structure in coordination with Oji Intertech at the 12th Annual Lean Network Conference on May 21, 2014, in Fort Wayne. The presentation preceded a plant tour of Oji's facilities on May 20.
For more information about our educational programs,
Download our promotional flier
(Adobe PDF, 371 kb)