IPFW/Parkview Student Assistance Program

Faculty & Staff

Recognizing Troubled Students

Faculty and staff are often the first to notice a student who is struggling, whether it is academic, personal, social or even financial. You may see them several times a week, and often have established rapport and trust with the student. You are our greatest resource for helping troubled students. We hope the information on this webpage will help you reach students who may be in need of mental health services.

Signs of Distress

Life Events

  • Death of Illness of a family member or friend
  • Homesickness
  • Problems with roommates
  • Difficulty making friends
  • Parent’s divorce
  • Illness (loss of health)
  • Severe shyness
  • Relationship break-up
  • Coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender
  • Cultural oppression/discrimination

Academic Performance

  • Failing grades
  • Academic probation
  • Drop in class attendance
  • Pattern of dropping classes
  • Chronic indecisiveness or procrastination
  • Perfectionism
  • Severe reaction to poor test/paper grade
  • Incapacitating test anxiety
  • Unrealistic career goals
  • Poor study or comprehension skills
  • Excessive appointments to see you during office hours
  • Frequent requests for accommodations
  • Academic dismissal

Unusual Behavior

  • Aggressive or threatening
  • Disruptive in class
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Inappropriate or bizarre conversation
  • Self-injurious behavior
  • Prolonged or extreme emotionality
  • Significant decline in personal hygiene
  • Dramatic weight change
  • Anxiety

References to Suicide of Homicide

  • Feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, worthlessness
  • Preoccupation with death, giving away valued possessions
  • Isolation from others
  • Thoughts or threats of suicide or plans for suicide
  • Homicidal threats
  • Physical threats to others
  • Depression

Your Role

With the exception of suicide or homicide, most students have some of these problems some of the time, and that does not always mean that they have a serious problem. It never hurts to notice, or to suggest your concern to a student. However, if a student has several of the indicators of distress, and/or they become persistent, it may be appropriate to refer them for mental health services.

Referring Students

There are many staff people willing and able to help with the multitude of students having needs. Referrals can be made to academic advisors, deans, housing personnel, bursar’s office and mental health professionals. The Dean of Student’s Office provides free personal counseling through the Parkview/IPFW Student Assistance Counseling Program in Walb Union, room 113. If you are unsure of our services or would like to consult about a particular student, please feel free to contact us at 260-481-6657. Keep in mind that while you can share your concerns about a student, we are unable to break confidentiality to share information about a specific student. Students will also need to make their own appointment, by calling 260-266-8060. We do take walk-ins and you can escort a student if that makes them more comfortable.

Emergency Situation

IPFW policy is that campus police should be contacted in all on-campus emergency situations (including psychological crisis) and the contact number for emergencies is 911.

In the IPFW Emergency Procedures Handbook, an “emergency” is generally defined as a situation that appears violent or life threatening and a “psychological crisis” is described as a situation in which an individual appears mentally ill and/or dangerous to themselves or others, e.g., threatening suicide.)

University Police


University Police can also provide assistance if a student is acting strangely or violently. These officers have experience working with students in crisis and can provide options for further assistance if needed.

When mental health emergencies occur outside of our operating hours off campus and/or after hours, contact:



Helpline is a 24-hour service of Parkview Behavioral Health.

Counseling Services

Parkview/IPFW Student Assistance Program

Information and appointments: 260-266-8060
Location: Walb Student Union, room 113
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.,

After Hours Assistance